PARALLEL Quilt Pattern

When Patchwork Professional magazine contacted me (read all about it in this post), one of the things that they asked was if I would design a quilt pattern for them using my popular Modernized D9P concept. The quilt that I created is called PARALLEL, and I am happy to be sharing it with you today.


PARALLEL Quilt Pattern by Kristy Daum



PARALLEL measures 65" x 65" and I made it using 16 different prints and one solid as you can see in the photo below. Yet, the pattern is written so you can include as many or as few print fabrics as you choose.



Fabric Stack

Quilt Measures : 65" x 65"
Background Fabric: Snow - Moda Bella Solids
Quilt Top Fabrics: Print Fabrics are from various manufacturers
Binding : Confetti Dot from Dear Stella
Backing : Historic Tile from Joel Dewberry


While the blocks themselves are fun to put together, this quilt really comes alive when you add in the large expanses of negative space...something I really love doing.  When done correctly, the negative space winds it's way through the blocks, making the quilt much more interesting.

As for the quilting itself, I decided early on that straight-line quilting was the way to go; yet I challenged myself by making it 1/2" apart.  Having spent some time watching Jacquie Gering's Creative Quilting with a Walking Foot class on Craftsy, her tips were invaluable and helped my lines stay as straight as possible across the surface of the quilt; which can be tricky to accomplish.

You can pick up a copy of Patchwork Professional to get the pattern (if you can read German). Otherwise, you can purchase a PDF copy of PARALLEL or any of my other PDF patterns by visiting My Pattern Shop.

My paper patterns are distributed through several brick-and-mortar locations...so ask your local shop if they carry my patterns and if not...suggest that they do :-)

This is one of three self-published patterns I'll be distributing this fall, so stay tuned.

--Kristy