Sunday, July 1, 2012

Modernized D9P

Today, I'm going to show you the process that I used to make a "Modernized D9P" or Disappearing Nine Patch.  Each quilters results will vary depending upon the Block Layouts they choose; but this Ride-Along will help guide you along the way.

If you are unfamiliar with the Disappearing Nine Patch, one quick Google search can provide hundreds of examples.  I of course couldn't leave well-enough alone and wanted to tweak the block, taking this simple concept one step further by utilizing negative space.  It's a simple change that creates wonderful results.


The block is fairly simple in that you are sewing 9 squares of fabric together and then quartering them.  What makes this "Modernized D9P" different is two things.
  1. Instead of using 9 printed fabrics in a single block, you use only 4; the balance is your background fabric.
  2. You use multiple Block Layouts in a single quilt. 

Below is an illustration showing you a handful of Block Layout options using the 4 + 5 concept.  There are certainly more then I have shown here and I encourage you to create your own too.  The greater variety of Block Layouts you use in a single quilt, the more unique it will look.



Here are the Block Layouts that I choose to use in my quilt.  As I wanted to make 9 blocks, I just duplicated some of my favorites.


Below in an illustration showing you how the blocks will look once quartered, see the variety.




Once you have sewn together, then quartered all of your blocks, you can begin laying out the assorted pieces into a pleasing arrangement.  This is the fun part, as you can really play with the negative space.

All that's left to do is sew the blocks into rows, and then sew the rows together, sandwich, quilt and bind.  Ta-Da!! you have just created your very own Modernized D9P.


If you have used my Modernized D9P or any of my patterns or tutorials, please share your photos and blog posts with me.  You can use #modernizedD9P and tag @LoveOldHouses on Instagram. 

I love seeing what you do and will add them to my “Inspired by my Patterns” board on Pinterest.



The prints in this quilt are from Lotta Jansdotter's Bella collection from Windham Fabrics.


34 comments:

SewGurl58 said...

Awesome, I have two charm packs I've been wanting to combine but haven't come up with a plan I love. I was going to do a D9P using equal portions of a coordinating solid, now I know I need to use fewer of the charms in each 9P and lots of one solid and lots of layout variation! Thanks so much for the lesson in inspiration

Lynne said...

Slick! I like it! Nicely done. Helps stretch those charm packs, too!

Jackie Russell said...

Love the modernixed D9P! Now if I could just find some time to sew.

Kate said...

This is really a great twist on the D9P! I'm filing this one away for future use!

anniemac said...

Kristy - I love this idea! In fact, I've already started working on it! I will email you a blog link when I post about it. (Pure genius girl!)

Beulah said...

Like I need another quilt top idea...... :D
This is awesome! I Like your twist on the DNP...Yes, I will be starting one this weekend. Actually very good timing on this find....my goal is to deplete all of my stash this summer and what better way than creating a quirky fun quilt. Thanks for sharing! :D

sowingstitches [at] yahoo [dot] com

Texas JennyWren said...

lOVE THIS IDEA!! I AM GOING TO GIVE IT A TRY. WHAT SIZE ARE THE BLOCKS WHEN YOU FIRST SEW THEM TOGETHER, BEFORE YOU START SLICING?

Angie said...

Thanks so much for the inspiration for my future granddaughter's crib quilt. Mom and Dad received it at their baby shower this weekend and it was a bit hit.

Jenniffier Kramer said...

Very cool thanks for the tutorial!

bhafer said...

Wow how very cool!

Jan said...

excellent. my 2 fave things....a charm pack and a dnp....love the results...must make one!

Veinurse said...

I have a layer cake and a charm of the Bella line and am looking for patterns for a throw. I thought 9 patch but this is so much more fun! Thank you for the inspiration!

Anonymous said...

I have never done a quilt before and I am definitely going to try this first!!!! How big is this quilt?

Helen in the UK said...

Love this idea which I found through a link on a picture in Flicker! I've made D9P many times before, even taught it to my guild, but now I've become interested in modern style quilts. This idea gives me a whole new direction to go in with simple squares! Thanks for the inspiration :)

Andréa said...

This is great! Thanks a lot for sharing the tutorial.

Patricia said...

This is absolutely amazing. Thank you so much. I wanted to do something modern for my month inthe quilting bee and this sure is it. I can finally stop looking. LOVE IT!!!

Debbie said...

Very cool. Thanks for sharing!

Terry Aske Art Quilts said...

Fabulous job of modernizing the D9P!

Sharon said...

Thanks for the great tutorial! I just posted my quilt using your tutorial and it is a big hit! http://www.flickr.com/photos/46563412@N06/8561790139/

Cjhaab said...

Very inspiring! Great value in your post here, as evidenced by comments continuing for months.

Chris S said...

LOVE it! Thanks!

Molly said...

I love this look! Thanks for the tut. I think I'll try this soon and I'll be back.

Claudia said...

I just stumbled upon your blog and found this quilt first and I am soooo soooo smitten. What a super and lovely idea! Thanks for sharing and I am definate I will give it a try!So looking forward to it. Greetings from Germany and many Thanks

Steph Jacobson said...

I just put together the quilt top for the WISH do. Good Stitches April quilt. Hopefully I can start quilting it this weekend! http://www.flickr.com/photos/stephaniejacobson/8746791765/in/photostream

Nicola said...

This is absolutely fabulous!! Will definitely send you some pictures when I've made one of these... and I've linked your BRILLIANT tutorial to a FB group - this is really stunning!!!!!

Kimetha TURNER said...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kimetha/9425325390/

i've done it. thanks for the tute

Christine S said...

I have Bella and Glimma to use but just can't figure out what patterns to use. I'd forgotten about this until I saw it on a blog again today, bingo! Thanks again for sharing :)

Nicole Handy said...

I have been trying to find out for so long now, how to do this, I nearly gave up. Thank you so much for sharing, this is so very kind of you. I can't wait to start!

Sarah @ mila+cuatro said...

Thank you for sharing this, I love the randomess and white space you've achieved with this technique - I'm glad I found it!

madfabriholic said...

Thank you for sharing- very inspiring!

SEW RED HOT said...

Just thought I'd chime in, totally loving this. I've done the disappearing nine patch before and love the results, but you're right, this is such a modern interpretation. I found this link on the Flickr Group Fresh Modern Quilts. I think you posted it ages ago but it doesnt matter, I finally found it!!

entropyalwayswinsblog.com said...

This is awesome! Can't wait to give it a try.

Hillary

daydream creations said...

Working on a King size one with lots of blue!

Sharon said...

I posted my quilt made with your tutorial. I love the way it came out, and your tute was very clear and easy to use. Thanks for sharing it with us! See my quilt here: http://www.indigothreads.blogspot.com/2014/10/mod-9-patch-bloggers-quilt-festival.html

Post a Comment

Thanks for Commenting...so what do you think?
Love it, Hate it, Have a quick story to tell...