Monday, June 9, 2014

Oakshott Mini Quilt -- SewMamaSew

Hello!  I am happy to be sharing with you the mini quilt that I created as part of the SewMamaSew - Oakshott Mini Quilt challenge.  Each of the participants was given a small bundle of Oakshott fabrics in the Ruby collection, and asked to make a mini/wall quilt using at least six of the colors.




While reviewing the bundle, I was drawn to the earth tones and challenged myself to use them since that palette is something I usually don't gravitate towards. While the Oakshott fabrics have an almost luminiscent quality about them, I liked the contrast of adding an almost raw and unfinished cloth as the base, so Osnaburg was an immediate choice.  

Using one of my favorite blocks, Flying Geese, I got to work.  I cannot even remember all the different layouts that I tried; but in the end, keeping it simple is what looked best.







This mini quilt measures 14 1/2" x 16 1/2" and uses the following seven Oakshott colors...Santiago, Cadiz, Cordoba, Granada, Valencia, Corunna, and Salamanca.  My favorite of them all was Salamanca; which is the "brick-like" color in the bottom left of the photo.

This was my first time using Oakshott fabrics, although not my first time using a shotcotton. I have to admit being partial to those hues which you could clearly see two colors merging together, as they added a certain dimension.  This is not to say that those colors in the bundle which seemed to read very singular weren't lovely...they were just overshadowed by their glitzier cousins.

Thanks SewMamaSew for letting me participate in the Mini Quilt challenge, and most of all Thanks to Oakshott Fabrics for the opportunity to play with the lovely fabric.

I am honored to be among such great company, check out what these other Bloggers have made.
Want to see more, use #oakshottrubymini on Instagram for more pics.

Have you used Oakshott fabrics before?

--Kristy

17 comments:

Andres said...

I love it!

Debbie said...

Lovely mini! And I love them paired with the Osnaburg...Nice!

Jodi said...

very pretty mini! I just looked at your "profile" - while at a sewing day hosted by the RI Modern Quilt Guild, two people told me how great the "Sherlock" series is on NetFlix or PBS. Maybe you've seen it, but I'm going to check it out.

Beth said...

I love the combination of colors you chose! Your mini is beautiful Kristy!

Quilting Tangent said...

Nice gradation of color. 24Tangent "at" gmail "dot" com

Michelle MMMM4 said...

Simple....I like simple. It's a nice way to display the color of the colored fabrics.

Ella said...

I really like the contrast of the two fabrics together. It makes the Oakshott even more shiny!

jeifner said...

It is pretty. The shades you picked make a beautiful geese wash and look great with the textured background.

I have used them. I was surprised a bit at the texture, a little thicker than I thought. Wonderful color shimmer

kimberj said...

Kristy, I really love what you did with the Oakshott Cottons!

Vicki H said...

I love your mini.

Linda said...

HI, simple and beautiful!
Thanks for sharing!

msstitcher1214@gmail.com

Samantha said...

I haven't used them before. But I love natural background you used with them.

Pauline Perry said...

I really like the grading of colours from dark upward on left and light upward on right. One of my favourite techniques. THe simplicity is very calming as a wall decoration that can be pondered over peacefully - love it!
Pauline

perry94022 at hotmail dot com

Roseline McIntosh said...

It is impossible not too fall in love with Oakshots!

Sallie said...

I love reds and flying geese!

OhioLori said...

Love your quilt! Very different..but so Awesome!!! Great job!!!

Mom C said...

Love what you did. I have only used Oakshott scraps from my DIL's stash but I do like the feel and colors

Post a Comment

Thanks for Commenting...so what do you think?
Love it, Hate it, Have a quick story to tell...