Sunday, January 13, 2013

What is Black, White and "Red" all over?

Are you thinking a Newspaper...well, that might be; but in this case the answer is something quite different.

So, in my last post I mentioned that this was going to be the Year of Finishing.  Well, thanks to an impromptu Sew-In; which I was able to attend for a few short hours yesterday, I finished quilting my Black and White Snapshots quilt.  I shamelessly call it Snapshots because that's what Elizabeth Hartman called it in her book The Practical Guide to Patchwork




I had been wanting to make a Black and White quilt for as long as I could remember; but I never felt like I had enough Black and White fabrics to pull it off.  You may remember my discovery back in September 2011...and yes, that's when I started making this quilt. 





The backing fabric was something that I found at Jo-Ann's and lucky for me, when the local store was going out of business a year ago, I picked up yardage at 70% off.  It might be a little hard to tell from the photo; but it's a graffiti print.  That set the tone of the quilt and I knew that I had to have a red binding.




Fast forward to this week when I found this wonderful Riley Blake Chevron print at Janie lou quilts, a local shop in St. Louis.  I had previously struggled to find a red print that was mixed with white; but the white was never "white enough"...and always looked cream.  That's why this print is great, it's tone on tone Red.




As I was so close to finishing, I couldn't let this one sit for another day (I know, I know, it had been sitting for 1 year and 4 months already), so I finished up the binding last night.  I'm so glad to have this quilt done and can't wait to share it at my next STLMQG meeting.  I just have to keep a close eye on it, because some people might attempt to abduct it.







One quilt down, and based on the photo I shared of my current WIP...I'm well on my way to working through my stack.



11 comments:

Lynne said...

Turned out GREAT! LOVE that binding.

You know where to send it! ;)

Happy Cottage Quilter said...

Your quilt is beautiful. Very stunning!

Mary Ellen said...

Great quilt, great name! BTW, I was at Janie Lou yesterday and your name came up in conversation. As in, "Kristy Daum is going to love this place!" The owner said you had already discovered them. Should have known. I keep going back and buying more and more. Great addition to our local shopping!

Carla said...

Kristy, What a great quilt! It gives me an idea for a leader/ender project using just black and white prints. Your red binding is perfect, but knowing it is a chevron print just puts a kiss on it! Congrats on a finish!

DKB said...

Love it, the tonal binding is amazing and the backing fabric is such a surprise

Kevin the Quilter said...

Great finish Kristy! Contemporary, and modern as usual! I, too, bought a ton of stuff at that JoAnn's "moving" sale, and LOVE the new Janie Lou's! It's going to be a great place!

Miss Nancy said...

Super great! Love it! Like the contrasting back. Well done!

Have a super great sewing and stitching day!

Jackie Russell said...

Congratulations on your finish! Love the red binding.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the finish. Nice job. Thanks for sharing and inspiring.
cindy

Kelly Smith said...

Great job Kristy! I can't believe you got the binding done so fast! You were just quilting it at the sew-in! Love that Riley Blake chevron though! I need to stop by Janie Lou soon!

Mimi said...

It looks amazing!! Your finish has inspired me!! Thanks for sharing!

Post a Comment

Thanks for Commenting...so what do you think?
Love it, Hate it, Have a quick story to tell...