Wednesday, January 30, 2013

QuiltCon Link Party

Someone had the bright idea to start a QuiltCon Link Party, so all of the attendees could share a little bit about themselves so when we bumped into one another in Austin, we might recognize each other and maybe something quirky that we shared.

The "rules" were that you shared a photo and 5 things that people may/may not know about you.

Here we go....

 
Hi!  I'm Kristy Daum {{{Waving}}}
 
At QuiltCon, I'll be allover the place as I signed up to be a Super Volunteer.  What does that mean, well, 16-hours of seeing ALOT of you really.  I'll be helping to setup the Quilt Show, assisting in the Vendor Hall and answering questions at the Help Desk.
 
Or if you were one of the lucky ones that is taking a class, maybe I'll be your classmate. 
I'm in Elizabeth Hartman's "Free-Motion Quilting on a Home Machine" on Thursday and
Jacquie Gering's "Machine Piecing Hexagons" on Sunday.
 
You might also see me talking about my Bridges & Tunnels Quilt on Thursday...or as one of the panelist during Sunday's Quilt Guild discussions that are moderated by Alissa Haight Carlton.
 
You better believe that I had to create a spreadsheet to keep track of it all, it's color-coded and everything.
 
---------------------------------------------------
 
Hmmm...now onto the 5 things that you may not know.
 
1.  I have a strange affinity for things that are a little macabre...think Edward Gorey books, Tim Burton movies and even Ravens.  Any given day (not just during Halloween) you'll find a handful of faux Ravens hanging out in my living room as part of the decor. 
 
Just 2 of the 5 that are in my house.
 
2.   I work for a well-known Footwear Company and spend my days surrounded by thousands of shoes that any shoe-aholic would die to have in their closet.  Unfortunately, I cannot wear a single one of them thanks to an auto accident in 2002 that left me with alot of metal hardware and a necessity to learn to walk all over again at the age of 23.  I am continually on the losing end of a search to find comfortable shoes that don't look like something from your Grandmother's closet. 
So if you see me at QuiltCon, ignore my shoes.
 
 
3.  In highschool, I took two Machine Drafting classes and absolutely loved them.  Those courses got me thinking that I might want to be an Engineer or Architect; but when push came to shove and I had to choose a major in college, I opted for Fashion Design instead.  I guess you can call it "engineering" in a different manner of speaking. 
 
 
4.  While I love music and have quite an eclectic mix on my iPod.  I'm sad to say that the only live music show that I've ever seen was about 6-8 years ago.  I was on a business trip to Las Vegas and a co-worker and I went to see Tom Jones.  For those of you who don't know who Tom Jones is...he created this song that will forever be linked to the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air.  It's not like I was a big fan or anything, just thought it was an entertaining way to spend an evening...little did I know it would be the only "concert" that I would see thus far.  
 
 
5.  I still have my first Sewing book that my Parents got me when I was young.  It was well-loved before I got it as it was part of the St. Louis County Library system; before they snatched it up at a sale.  The copyright is from 1971 and one look at the contents confirms that fact.  While the book has seen better days and is falling apart now, it still has a place in my studio next to all my other sewing/quilting books. 
 
 
Okay, that's my 5 things you may/may not know. 
 
-----------------------------------------------------
 
You should definately hop on over to the QuiltCon Link Party and see who else is going, and for those of you who aren't able to attend, maybe you'll find some new to you Bloggers.
 
Happy Wednesday!!
 
 

6 comments:

Elaine said...

Kristy!!! I'm so happy to see you are going to Quiltcon-- you made me a pillow for PTS-- hope I get to meet you in person and than you again!

Charlotte said...

Hello! I am a super volunteer too :-D Looking forward to meeting you!

Kelly Smith said...

I did not know any of that, well except for the shoe company bit. Enjoy Quilt Con! It's nice to get to know you a little better!

Jen said...

I will be taking the same Thursday class with Elizabeth Hartman! Will be fun to see you there. And I am jealous that you have seen Tom Jones. Oogachaka!

Miss Sews-it-all said...

Hey Kristy! I totally have a copy of that vintage My Learn to Sew Book, it is adorable - bought it for my daughter. Hope to see you at QuiltCon!

Dorie said...

Hi Kristy,
I'd love to hear you talk about Bridges and Tunnels. I love that quilt!
Dorie

Post a Comment

Thanks for Commenting...so what do you think?
Love it, Hate it, Have a quick story to tell...