Saturday, December 8, 2012

Holiday Exchange

I had been seeing the QAYG (Quilt As You Go) stuff all over the blogosphere and wanted to give it a go.  For those unfamiliar with QAYG, it's a method of quilting in which you actually quilt your block while you are building it, rather then waiting until your block is finished. 

I used this "tutorial" from Elizabeth Hartman as my starting point and decided that a small item would be best, since it was my first go at this new technique.  I settled on a pouch, similiar to this from Freshly Picked; but larger.

I selected a handful of fabrics from my scrap bin and got to work.  This panel (which measured 10" x 10") wasn't without it's challenges; but you don't learn unless you try.


I decided that I was just going to use a print as the backing and I think it turned out pretty well.  While you can see the quilting lines going in every which direction, overlapping and ending haphazardly, the print distracts nicely.


I finished the pouch just in time for our Lou Bee Holiday Exchange and got in a quick photo session before rushing out the door. 



 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now before I show you what I received in the exchange, I have to share with you a quick sidebar. 

The Lou Bee started as a quilting bee; but our little group has become the bestest (is that a word?) of friends.  Juli Ann, our resident Artist, even created this logo for our group. 




Well, you can imagine my astonishment when I opened up my Holiday Exchange package from Laura and found this gem inside along with some other goodies too.  OMG!!!  Can you believe that she hand embroidered this?  It measures approx. 3" x 5" and is unbelieveably detailed.





Just look at those stitches......I'm speechless....




I hope you are able to spend some time this weekend with friends and family.  It's only 17 days until Christmas and 23 until New Years Day, don't let it pass you by.

3 comments:

Lynne said...

Kristy, I LOVE this pouch. LOVE it. I think it's the bespectacled deer that gets me most. Great work!

Gina said...

Kristy, I'm totally digging the QAYG pouch! I MUST give this technique a try. About Laura's stitches on the Lou Bee logo? Incredibly lovely.

Miss Nancy said...

Love the pouch, totally perfect without a doubt, absolute fun!!! Laura's ornament is perfect! Great embroidery work, Laura! Thank you for sharing.

Have a super great sewing and stitching day!

Happy Holidays to all!

Post a Comment

Thanks for Commenting...so what do you think?
Love it, Hate it, Have a quick story to tell...