Wednesday, January 4, 2012

WIP Wednesday

I tweeted over the weekend that I was cutting out 2 1/2 x 2 1/2 inch squares...I needed 320 of them.  Well, here they are in all their scrappy goodness. 


I did "cheat" a little, but only out of frustration.  You see it was my intention to cut all of these out of my scrap jars (as seen below); but as anyone would know who has tried to cut things from their scrap piles...it's a tedious process.  You pretty much have to do it one or two at a time since my scraps (and let's be honest, most people's scraps) are all sorts of sizes.  After like the 100th one, I gave up and just started cutting 2 1/2" lengths from fabric in my stash, then subcutting them into the squares.  On fabrics I really liked, I used 6 or even 8 squares; but tried to keep the duplication under that.  And the added bonus was that I added more scraps to the jars.



What is to become of those squares is still being "pieced" together; which is why I've decided to link up to Freshly Pieced's WIP Wednesday. 


I'm gonna try to keep better tabs on my WIP because let's be honest, once you've put it out there, it's something you need to finish...eventually.  I do have big plans for this particular project though and will share more once it's completed.

----------------------------------------------

Also, here are some other things that are on my radar as 2012 starts off with a bang.  I'm looking forward to trying my hand at this Quilt-Along.  Rachel from Stitched In Color is hosting the Scrap Attack Quilt-Along.

Scrap Attack Quilt-Along


I got the scraps...as you saw in my pickle jars above, now I just need to decide what to do with them.


Also, Erin over at Two More Seconds has co-created the Tangerine Tango Challenge.  Pantone, the world leader in all things color, announced that Tangerine Tango was the 2012 Color of the Year.  Who doesn't love a challenge?




I don't have alot of Tangerine in my fabric stash; but I wonder who really does.  For anyone taking on this challenge, it sounds like a great excuse to go buy some Tangerine fabric. 

Well, that's about it for now.  I hope 2012 is shaping up to be a good year for you so far.

14 comments:

@pril said...

WOW! That is alot of squares. But they look so nice stacked up. I saw you at WIP.

@pril
KoolBeenz-blog.blogspot.com
For-the-Love-of-Pie.blogspot.com

Diane said...

Nice stack of blocks! I checked in on Rachel's scrap challenge yesterday, as well as Jodi's at Pleasant Home, and Randi at i have to say has a project that used scraps too... Lots of scrap projects going on.

Pat said...

Oh, I can't imagine trying to cut 320 squares from scraps. Can't wait to see what you make.

Jane said...

I do some quilting too,when I have time. I also do a little sewing,throw pillows and pj's,also when I have time. You have lot's of scraps,but then if we do much sewing,we all have an abundance of them,just thought I would stop by and leave a comment. Happy sewing :) Blessings Jane

Home Designs by Amanda said...

Great pile....someday down the road I want to make a pile just like it!

Kerstin said...

I have to admit that cutting is my least favorite part of quilting, so kudos to you for tackling all those scraps!

Stitching By A Cornish Sea Shore said...

I dont envy you cutting out all those squares. Well done for doing so out of any material.

Looking foward to seeing your design for the quilt.

Greta said...

I popped over from WIP Wednesday. I love orange, in fact it's one of my favorite colors. Now I totally have to check out the challenge and see what I can do about that.

Something Wilde said...

I'm loving all the little squares! I may have to check out the Tangerine Tango challenge now! What fun...tangerine! Good luck with your projects!

frog cottage said...

I popped over from WIP Wednesday too!! I have the same amount to cut out for an "Angels Story" by Anni Downs...I am doing a stitchalong with my g/f. Thinking I may link to WIP too to keep me on track.
Cant wait to see what you design you end up making :)

Sel's Quilting Blog said...

Hee. You know, I looked at the pile of fabric you posted in the WIP Wednesday link-party, and had to come see what they were!

Hurray for scraps and stash-busting!

sukie said...

Great job! I need to do that too.

mindingmomma said...

That stack of squares is delicious, what are you working on with them?

Marsha Cooper said...

It's a tedious job to sit and do all the cutting at once period! I've done it lots of times. I'm always glad to have cut what I needed, but sometimes wish I worked like others cutting, sewing, cutting sewing.

Post a Comment

Thanks for Commenting...so what do you think?
Love it, Hate it, Have a quick story to tell...