Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Enough is Enough

When I bought my home back in 2007, one of the first things I had to do before I could even move in (due to county regulations) was remove all the tree debris and brush that had overtaken the yard.  I knew down the road, that there were still a lot of trees that needed to come down; but I would have to take my time...trees are not cheap to remove.

Well fast forward 3 years and I noticed one of the Silver Maples near my house was having some issues.  The bark had begun falling off and a slight breeze would litter the ground underneath with smaller branches and leaves (although it wasn't Fall).  The tree never recovered.  It was dead and not only an eyesore; but as I would soon learn - quite a nuisance.  

Earlier this year, the tree clearly wanted me to take notice; when a branch as big as me crashed to the ground during a routine thunderstorm.  Chainsaw in hand, we cleaned up the mess; but the tree wasn't satisfied. 

A few weeks ago, one of the longer branches fell on the roof of my house...it just wrinkled up a couple of shingles.  Yet removing it was out of our league since it was still connected (although barely) to the tree too. 

I called a few Tree Removal companies and got some estimates, after waiting and waiting and waiting, I dropped the 1st company I called and went with another.  I should have went with the 2nd one all along - lesson learned. 

Within 24 hours, the tree was gone, stump cut to the ground and all debris removed.
As I had mentioned, I noticed the exterior symptoms; but I had NO IDEA what was going on inside that tree.  Look at this:

 
The entire tree was cored out and dying from the inside out.  It was growing/living this way.  No wonder it was loosing it's branches, there was no solid structure left.  This was one seriously damaged Silver Maple.



And here's the trunk of the tree...crazy, eh?  I wonder if Silver Maples are prone to this problem.

Now that the tree is gone, it has opened up the side yard quite a bit and I look forward to cleaning up some more of what my neighbor likes to call "Trash Trees".

3 comments:

Nancy said...

Wow...it looks like there was a fire inside that tree! Sorry for the unexpected expense..I hate those..

Splendorfalls said...

Wow! I'm amazed it lasted as long as it did!

Amber H. said...

We've got two silver maples that are not doing well either. Seeing your pictures has given me the motivation to go ahead and call up to get those suckers cut down ASAP!! I'm curious to see if they've gone in the way of this particular one...

Post a Comment

Thanks for Commenting...so what do you think?
Love it, Hate it, Have a quick story to tell...