Saturday, September 3, 2011

STLMQG Habitat Challenge - Part 3

If you don't want to know what my STLMQG Habitat Challenge quilt looks like, do not read or scroll any further.  Spoiler Alert!!!

Normally I would not reveal my Challenge Quilt this early; but I'm so excited that it is done, and not because it was a headache; quite the contrary.  There is no way that I could wait an entire month to share this with all of you...besides you'll probably have forgotten about this post by then :-)

The STLMQG received our Habitat Challenge fabric in July and our finished quilt, measuring larger then 36 x 36 inches is due in October.  Normally about now, I would be pulling together an idea; but I was inspired and started early.  If you had been reading the other post I wrote about this quilt ( Part 1 ) and ( Part 2 ), you'll remember how I talked about some of the challenges I was facing. 

  • First that I chose pink as my background, a color that is usually not in my vocabulary; but seemed to work. 
  • Second, that once I began laying out the pieces, the quilt grew enormously larger then I was intending.

Here's what you need to know, the pink has grown on me and actually I love the color I choose for the back of my quilt, I believe it's called Pomegranate; but don't quote me on that. 

Additionally, the quilting design that I decided on (randomly placed lines in every direction) allowed me to push the boundaries of what I was comfortable doing on my machine.  Okay, it's nothing special; but I had never quilted something this large before.  How large might you ask, well I believe the finished size was 53 x 73.  Certainly, not monstrous, and it pales in comparison to quilts that some of my fellow STLMQG members make on a regular basis; but this quilt is my largest to date.  That is an accomplishment.

I did have to quickly learn how to wrestle the bulk of the quilt so it didn't smother me; which is interesting when one's sewing room is on the 2nd floor of a house without a direct A/C vent.  Thank goodness for fans :-) 

The moral of the story is, I now know that I don't have to limit myself to lap-size quilts.  Who knows I might try a Twin or Queen one of these days.


 The Front



The Back

The front of the quilt is all randomly-pieced around the black-framed squares.  I had an idea of the placement and just filled in the holes.  I've decided that I like improv quilts, I've been trying my hand at this style lately and really enjoy the process.  It was like putting a puzzle together; but without the box lid as a guide.


There are several things I learned along the way.  The biggest is that while I adore black as a color, it attracts every piece of lint within a mile radius.  Of course you probably knew this already, I did not.

Additionally, I tried my hand at zigzagging the binding on, I'm actually quite pleased with the outcome.



Finally, thanks to my Sister, who I was able to drag convince to help me this morning.  We headed to Jefferson Barracks park; which is filled with massive trees.  My quilt looks so tiny in comparision to them, doesn't it?

I can't decide if she is hiding, or if her arms collapsed
from holding the quilt up for too long.

So there you have it folks. The story of this quilt is now complete.  I survived the barrage of pink fabrics and came out on the other end better for it.

6 comments:

Nancy said...

Oh Kristy it's great! I just ordered pink for my binding...even though my background is YELLOW!! I can't wait to get it and see how it looks..

Cindy said...

I love the pink! can't wait to see it in person!

Me? A Mom? said...

I can see why you're so excited about it! Looks great! and, selfishly, i'm glad you did an early reveal since I'm going to miss the October meeting!

Splendorfalls said...

Great quilt and great pictures! I'm so glad you showed it off early!!

Lynne said...

Kristy, I like this a lot. Love how you used the lighter pink sparingly within the darker field. And, the black sets off the prints perfectly.

Haven't even STARTED mine yet.

Overachiever! ;)

Jackie Russell said...

Looks great! I wish I could say mine was finished, it is started, kinda.

Post a Comment

Thanks for Commenting...so what do you think?
Love it, Hate it, Have a quick story to tell...