Well, I've been busy.
If you've looked closely at the Habitat collection by Jay McCarroll, you'll notice that the prints are bold and very unique. I wanted to highlight them in larger pieces and when I came across this quilt as seen below (actually it's the quilt back; but no matter), I knew this was the inspiration I was looking for.
Design by Crystal of SonnetoftheMoon
I started by framing each of the 6 prints in solid black.
Then started combining a few of them into groups.
Eventually, I found a layout that I liked and within one afternoon had nearly 60% of the top pieced.
I probably could have finished the whole top; but I underestimated how large I wanted the quilt to be and ran out of one of the solids. This is pure improv at it's best and worst; because I didn't have a plan drawn out, I just bought some yardage and "thought" that it would be enough.
Yet, once I began laying out the framed squares on the floor, I knew that this was going to be a LARGE quilt...it just had to be, I couldn't squish all those blocks together. Keep in mind, the largest thing that I have ever really quilted was my PUZZLED quilt and that was just a few months back and only measured about 52" x 57". This HABITAT quilt is going to be alot larger.
I should probably check and see if I have enough basting pins for this project.
Until next time...