Monday, August 8, 2011

STLMQG Habitat Challenge - Part 1

First, a big Thanks to everyone who commented either here on my blog or on my Moda Bake Shop tutorial that was posted over the weekend.  If for some reason you missed it, here's the link and more information.

Now onto something new...

The STLMQG (St. Louis Modern Quilt Guild) of which I'm President is participating in the HABITAT Challenge, as sponsored by FreeSpirit Fabrics in cooperation with the MQG (Modern Quilt Guild).

You might have seen some press about this around blog-land, here and here.

In July, all participants in our guild received 6 Fat Eighths of a variety of Jay McCarroll's HABITAT collection.  It was a mystery as the fabrics were all placed in bags, as seen below.


Photo courtesy of Splendorfalls

As each of the bags were handed out, and then opened, you heard some excitement and phrases such as  "Yes, I got this one."...clearly some people had done their homework ahead of time and were hoping for a particular print.

Here's what was in my bag, a well-rounded mix.


The HABITAT Challenge rules for the STLMQG state that you must make a quilt larger then 36x36 inches using only HABITAT fabrics and any additional Solids. 
I spent a few weeks searching for inspiration and finally found it; which led me to purchase the following additional Solid fabrics.  They are Kona; but honestly I didn't remember to write down the name.


I don't consider myself a "pink-kind of girl"; but for some reason I am continually drawn to this color.  One look at my fabric stash will tell you that, as it's the 2nd largest represented color...so strange.

This quilt will be a big step outside of my comfort zone because most of the quilts that I make are filled with scrappy or pieced blocks, and rarely include large expanses of solid color.  This quilt will be the latter and I'm excited to get working on it...even if I am a little scared too.

Wish me luck, I'll have another update soon.

4 comments:

Splendorfalls said...

I think the shades of pink look great; can't wait to see what you make!

Kelly said...

It's sad that as soon as I saw your picture of the Kona fabric you chose, I thought to myself... that's pomegranate, medium pink and (possibly) baby pink. :) I just went through the Kona gauntlet trying to find some pinks/reds/oranges for my new wave quilt. I can't wait to see what you come up with!

Jackie Russell said...

I like the pinks you choose!

Miss Nancy said...

Love the colors you chose. It will be stunning.

Have a super great sewing and stitching day.

Post a Comment

Thanks for Commenting...so what do you think?
Love it, Hate it, Have a quick story to tell...