Sunday, July 10, 2011

Clean Sweep and Next Steps

So after my STLMQG meeting on Saturday, and after I talked about how important it is to stay connected online...I got thinking.  Am I really doing what I am asking of my members?

I have the Blogging, Flickr thing down; but I am President and should be setting an example, right?

So, let's see what I am doing right and probably doing wrong from a Social Media standpoint:

I have a Facebook page...Check
But probably haven't been on it in months...Boo
     -I have all these highschool connections; but let's be honest.  My highschool years were absolute hell, and while I thought I had a handful of friends, looking back on it...I really didn't.  So on Saturday afternoon, I actually went through and cleaned house on Facebook, removing all of these people.  It actually felt good.
     -What I have done correctly is connect with people from work (selectively of course) that I do have a real connection with and a few in particular are super-close friends that I don't know how I'd make it through work everyday if they weren't there.
     -I have also been connecting with my Quilty-Pals from the STLMQG who are a great bunch of people that honestly I can say I couldn't live without now that I've met them.   

Okay, onto #2...Twitter.

I don't have a Twitter account...Boo
     -I thought it was the most ridiculous thing ever when it first started; but I'm learning to appreciate the value it has.

So, I'm looking to start a Twitter account...Check, even if it is mostly to follow other people at first, baby steps right.  I'll of course update you all on when that happens.

UPDATE 7/14:  I now have a Twitter Account.  Look on the right sidebar and you'll see the link.


Okay, onto #3...Pinterest

I have a Pinterest Account...Check
I haven't pinned a single thing...Boo
     -I think I actually have a few people following me; which is funny, since there is nothing there yet; but I think they are work and quilty friends...so they understand, for now :-)

UPDATE 7/14: I've starting pinning. Look on the right sidebar and you'll see the link.



As for Blogs and Flickr

I have a blog, of course, that's what you are reading now...Check
There really isn't a Boo moment for this right now, as I am continually learning about what is new, what others are doing and how I can learn from their successes and failures, how to expand my readership, etc, etc, etc.  This is a slow process; but I'm enjoying the journey.

Flickr, I think I got a pretty good lock on that right now too...so Check

---------------------------------------------
So in the scheme of things, I've cleaned house in some areas (Facebook) and have some progress to go in others (Pinterest, Twitter); yet it's been a good review and I feel better about things now.

8 comments:

Splendorfalls said...

True confession time: 99 percent of my non quilty friends do not know I have a blog. Maybe someday I'll get over that hump!

I think you are doing great on the social media front. Im not sure I can handle one more passoword (thinking Twitter), ha!

Hannah said...

I LOVE Pinterest. I used to have dozens of bookmarks of things I wanted to remember to try someday (tutorials, recipes, gift ideas, etc.), but I never got around to trying those things because I always forgot about the majority of the things I'd bookmarked. I moved all of that stuff over to Pinterest, so I now have ever-expanding boards of visual bookmarks, and that has made all the difference for me. (Of course, I still have to remember to look at my Pinterest every once in a while, but it's so much fun that that's never a problem.)

Cindy said...

I'm going to give Pinterest a try also. I find inspirational photos and ideas on the net daily and have been downloading pictures to my computer, but then never look at them! I'm hoping to make my own inspiration board!

Miss Nancy said...

There are so many ways to send and gather information, nurture friendships, and learn new things that it is hard to keep up. It is all interesting and informative.

Thank you for setting a great example. I have caught up a bit on Facebook and Flickr. And I am trying to keep up with the blog.

Anyway, have a super great sewing, stitching, and computering day.

Nancy said...

Maybe you can figure out pininterest and teach me? I have joined and like you have people following me down a dead path...lol I tried to "pin" things to my boards but they keep falling off and getting swept up with the trash never to be seen again...

AND is there an easy way to add all the StLMQG (totally had to say it to myself while typing the letters..ha) members as contacts without going one by one?

Jackie Russell said...

I think you are doing a great job! Let us know what your pinterest name is so we can follow you. I know you will be adding some interesting things to follow.

Really? carepig for my word verification. LOL!

Tracy said...

Kristy, I'm glad you talked about this. After the meeting I went to our website and checked out all the blogs that were listed - and posted comments. I admit I've been guilty of reading and not acknowledging what people have put out into the world. Now, here's my question.....what is the point of Twitter? I mean unless you're Ashton Kucher....does it really serve a purpose? Doesn't blogging and facebook allow us to share our lives fully? Just wondering....Would like your thoughts.

Kristy said...

Tracy, I didn't want to answer your Twitter question until I had actually created an account myself...just didn't seem right.

Yes, there is the celebrity aspect; but it is also an additional form of communication and way to be connected with others, making this huge world a much smaller and friendly place.

I'm not suggesting that everyone needs to participate in ALL forms of social media; but educating yourself on what is out there, even if you don't play in the sandbox, is important.

Post a Comment

Thanks for Commenting...so what do you think?
Love it, Hate it, Have a quick story to tell...