Monday, July 18, 2011

Back to our Roots

So there's been alot going on over here in this little house.

I signed up to participate in the Doll Quilt Swap, Round 11 and was one of the lucky ones to get in.  This round as they put it we are "going back to our roots".  This appealed to me because the last round I was in I felt the need to make an Art/Contemporary Quilt as that is what my partner's mosaic was filled with.  While the quilt was nice, there was no part of me in it and honestly I dreaded the entire process.

This new round has updated size requirements which state that the quilt must measure between 12-18 inches per side; which means it is a true Doll Quilt.


These little blocks only measure 3 1/2" x 3 1/2"...super tiny and alot of work; but worth it I think.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Next up is the Simply Strings Bee, Sabah asked for a modified Log Cabin using that beige block as the focus.


------------------------------------------------------------

I'm working on my Moda BakeShop project.  Here's a sneak peek. 
I'll let you all know when it will be posted.



------------------------------------------------------------

Finally, I want to share with you some quilts that live in my studio.








Wait...not a single modern quilt in the bunch.  Yep, precisely! 

Whenever I go to the antique mall, quilts are always at the top of my list.  While you can drop a pretty penny for the really nice ones that probaby lived in a chest all their existance.  I actually prefer the ones that are "lived in", and show some wear-n-tear...of course those are the ones that end up being in my price range too, I like to call that an added bonus.

Yet, you know what I collect them for....this


Good Ol' Fashioned Hand Quilting. 

None of the quilts pictured above have names or dates on them, so I haven't a clue as to their age; but I imagine they were lovingly made to keep someone warm. 

So for anyone who is doubting that a Modern Quilter can appreciate or does not know about quilting history...Think Again!!

And for those of you who have welcomed Modern Quilting and believe it too has it's place next to Traditional Quilting...Thank You!!

:-)

7 comments:

Cherry Red Quilter said...

Love your vintage quilts - just lovely - but i want to know their stories and what stories they would tell.......
Also LOVE your teeny little blocks - hate to think how small the smallest components are - just gorgeous!

Splendorfalls said...

Cute. Cute. Can't Wait! Amen sister.

=)

Anonymous said...

Love the old quilts, have a few myself. My favorite is the ocean waves pattern. The top one looks like is could almost "pass" as modern. ;-)...Wendy

krisgray said...

Pretty quilts and love those little blocks, can't wait to your doll quilt!

Jackie Russell said...

I love the vintage quilts too. The more loved the better.

Cute little blocks.

Nancy said...

I love vintage quilts.. I have a wedding ring that was made by my great-grandmother..hand pieced/hand quilted...precious...

Me? A Mom? said...

Ack! Those little blocks are killing me. How do you sew them that small? Are you hand sewing them?

Post a Comment

Thanks for Commenting...so what do you think?
Love it, Hate it, Have a quick story to tell...