Sunday, June 19, 2011

Pillow Talk Swap (Round 5) Finished

The 5th Round of Pillow Talk {Swap} is due July 1st, which is a quicker then usual turnaround; but that didn't stop me from participating anyway.  The nice thing about making pillows, is that they are small in size; but have all the characteristics of a full-size quilt.  I like pillows and this swap in particular; because I can challenge myself without being overwhelmed. 

My Secret Partner created a wonderful mosaic of things that she liked and after studying it for a few days, I referenced one of my trusty vintage quilt books filled with block ideas and instantly found what I was going to make, aptly named "Friendship Star". 

What I didn't do was pay attention to the fact that it was an Advanced block with a lot of intricate Set-In Seams.  After I selected my fabric, and had cut everything out, that's when it really hit me. 

Let me pause for a brief second here...
Three-Fourths of the blocks had to be cut by hand/scissors as they were an unusual shape and I didn't want to waste any fabric; therefore I butted the templates next to one another.  It sure made me realize how dedicated quilters must have been before the invention of the Rotary Cutter.  So Thank You!!!  Rotary Cutter Inventory, whomever you are.


Don't know what a Set-In Seam is?  See the photo below.  The Set-In Seam part is that V-Shape where the Grey square meets the yellow and green fabrics.

The above is the first Sew-In Seam I did, as you can tell, it's not perfect, I'm actually a little shy at the top.

Essentially what you have to do (in my example above) is sew that grey square to the yellow, then rotate the grey square and sew it to the green.  It's hard to explain; but I imagine there are tutorials out there.  It took a little bit to get the hang of it; but eventually I did and it started going semi-smoothly.  There were a few hiccups along the way; but there always are.


It took a couple of hours to finish piecing the below 14" block; but I think it was well worth the effort. 


I quilted it this afternoon and then finished the pillow with a machine binding.  It's my 2nd time doing a machine binding, and while there is nothing like a hand-sewn binding, I'm liking the results so far.






I joked earlier that I was relieved to be finished with all the Set-In Seams; but looking back at it, I will be sad to see this go.  The goods news is that if I ever make another one, it should go faster.

I'm mailing this one off sometime this week to my Pillow Talk {Swap} Partner..


{Sew} Modern Monday at Canoe Ridge Creations
Figured I'd link on over to {Sew} Modern Monday for the 1st time too.

5 comments:

Nancy said...

Lovely Pillow! I have never used a binding on a pillow..is there a flap on the back? or did you stuff it?

Alecia said...

There is so much love in this block—I am sure your partner will adore it. I love that I can challenge myself with the PTS, too. I certainly took on something that was a challenge for me, too, and I am very glad I did! Beautiful work!

CityHouseStudio said...

This is gorgeous!
Beautiful job - your partner is sure to love it!

Sara @ Sew Sweetness said...

Oh gosh, what lovely colors! I love how your pillow turned out!

Jen B said...

Beautiful! I'm not sure I'd want to make a whole quilt with those blocks, but I might have to try a pillow some day!

Post a Comment

Thanks for Commenting...so what do you think?
Love it, Hate it, Have a quick story to tell...