Thursday, June 2, 2011

Hiding Out

My blog has been a little quiet, here's why...

1st - I've been putting in long hours at my "pay the bills" job in preparation for our upcoming trade-show.

2nd - Several swap projects and bees have been keeping me busy.

Sneak Peek of the bag that I'm sending to my Goodie Bag Swap partner...
when it's finished of course.  A few more pieces to attach and scraps to pull.


Sew Scrappy Sew Happy Quilting Bee - May belonged to Cranial Hiccups



3rd - My local Modern Quilt Guild (STLMQG) is participating in the Robert Kaufmann Challenge and our
Solids Only Quilt is due June 11th.  I had a few ideas along the way; but it wasn't until a week or so ago that I really got down to business...so much for starting early.

Here's a sneak peek of my quilt top

4th - It's a good thing that I have so much quilting to get done; because I've also been hiding out in my house...completely creeped out of what is waiting outside.  What could be so terrifying you ask...let me show you.




UGH!!!  Even posting those photos gives me the heeby-jeebies.  If you don't have these devil-insects in your neck of the woods, you are truly blessed.  These insects are called Cicadas and unfortunately St. Louis is Ground Zero for the 13-year infestation.  While these ugly monsters can be found in other parts of the country, for some reason they just love our trees. 

Let me tell you about these things, first they measure about 1 1/2" long, have red eyes and long wings.  They emerge from the ground find a solid place to attach and then shed their crusty shell.  A few days later you are bombarded with their incessent mating calls and if you dare step foot outside, you can see them swarming from tree to tree.  Estimates place hundreds of thousands of them in a single 1 acre plot. 

I'm usually not someone who is creeped out by bugs and actually is the one called on to smash a rogue spider, cricket, or other insect that doesn't belong where it is found.  Yet, cidadas literally give me goose-bumps.  The only fun thing about them is that they make excellent target practice with a tennis racket.

So that's what's been happening around here.

2 comments:

krisgray said...

Those bugs are creepy. Our dog tries to eat the cicadas. I walked to pick my son up from pre-school a few days ago and the cicadas were so loud in some trees that I had to plug my ears!

Jackie Russell said...

Love the projects you are working on.

Yes, the year of the bugs and my daughter is having an outside wedding at our house the end of this month. Why didn't we get a memo about this? Those red eyes really creep me out. Ick!

Post a Comment

Thanks for Commenting...so what do you think?
Love it, Hate it, Have a quick story to tell...