Monday, April 11, 2011

Wedding Weekend & Fabric Shopping

This past weekend I travelled up to Kansas City, MO for my Brother's wedding.  While I am biased, you could not have asked for a more adorable couple.  The wedding was spectacular and everything was perfect. 

My Sister and I had a little bit of freetime during the weekend's festivities so I dragged her along to a fabric store that I had heard about in Overland Park, KS.  Have you visited Harper's Fabric & Quilt Co.  Let me tell you, as soon as I walked through the doors I was blown away.  It was so nice to be able to see/touch/feel so many fabric lines that I could previously only view/buy online.  They had so much stuff I couldn't even begin to list the variety. 

The salesgirl even gave me one of those "Marine" types of hurrahs when I told her that I was part of the St. Louis Modern Quilt Guild.  I missed her name; but she is part of the Kansas City Modern Quilt Guild and even invited me to their next meeting if I was ever in town.

Of course you knew that I couldn't walk away without buying something, so here it is...


I visited Bon Bon Atelier too, and while it was an adorable store nothing really caught my eye.  I'm just not into the Japanese Import or Liberty fabrics; which they did have quite a few of.

If you are in the Midwest and looking for a city to visit, I would highly recommend Kansas City.  Once you figured out the highway system, it was pretty easy to manuever around the city, and downtown is great.  It doesn't shut down at 6pm like St. Louis does (Boo!). 

=======================

Today as I was running a handful of errands left over from all the pre-wedding craziness, I stopped off at Hancock Fabrics (Union Rd) in St. Louis.  Let me tell you, I am NOT a fan of Hancock Fabrics, their stores are usually a mess and the quality of their merchandise hasn't always been up to speed.  Yet, I hadn't visited them in probably 6-9 months and as President of a quilting guild, I feel the need to know what is going on around town if something relates to quilting.

The store I visited while still not particularly pleasing to the eye, did look like it cleaned up it's act a bit.  Yet, I was kind of surprised to find this entire collection of fabric called Top Drawer.  It had that quilt-shop quality "hand" and the prints were actually something that I would want.  The tag says that the fabric was a division of Westminter Fibers, Inc...which I know is a good company.  I picked up some Design Rolls and Fat Quarter bundles that they had, plus a few other fabrics.  Not too shabby.  Thumbs up Hancock Fabrics!


3 comments:

Nancy said...

wow...that KC fabric is quite the eclectic collection... And is that a Moda Bake Shop pattern? for sale?

I'm not a fan of Hancocks or Jo-Annes...

Kristy said...

The Moda Bake Shop pattern was attached to the huge rolled fabric near it...so I really paid for the fabric, not the pattern.

Harper's in KC had a handful of these kits put together of all varieties.

Splendorfalls said...

Welcome back! KC is on my list of things to do; glad you go to go to some shops!!

Post a Comment

Thanks for Commenting...so what do you think?
Love it, Hate it, Have a quick story to tell...