Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Quilt Market...or what I like to call a deadline

So are you ready to hear this crazy cool news.  A member of the St. Louis Modern Quilt Guild ran into Laura Gunn, Fabric Designer Extraordinaire.  Pleasantries were exchanged presumably and some time later I get an email from Laura Gunn herself.  Okay, so she sent an email to the STLMQG President...but that's Me, so it's kind of like getting mail directly from a celebrity, right?

She writes, excited to learn that there is a Modern Quilt Guild in St. Louis and to tell me that Michael Miller is showing her two newest lines Magnolia Lane and Painter's Canvas at Quilt Market in a few weeks and she has a proposition for my guild. 

Would I or some of my STLMQG members be interested in making a modern quilt using her Painter's Canvas line.  The quilts will be photographed, in the booth at market and returned afterwards?  She goes on to say that we can use a quilt pattern of our own design, or a go-to favorite...wait, that means that the quilt pattern that I've been tweaking for a few weeks can now come to life and be shown at Market.  YAY!!!

If that wasn't pressure enough, how about the realization that I have to make a lap size quilt in 2 weeks.  Yep, 2 weeks from today is when the quilt is due. 

Of course, I'm not going at this alone...4 other STLMQG members agreed to take on this mission too. 

I'll definitely share in progress photos with all of you and will be creating a tutorial for my pattern; which I'll upload eventually.

So if you see the light on and sewing machine going at 4am...you know why.

                            ============================================

For those of you who don't know who Laura Gunn is, she is the daughter of Eleanor Peace Bailey and Sister-In-Law to Heather Bailey.  Laura is Designer of such lines as Lantern Bloom, Poppy, Magnolia Lane and Painter's Canvas.

You can find her blog here, Paint in My Hair, and links to Magnolia Lane and Painter's Canvas.

If you'd like to pick up some of her fabric, I've seen it at the following locations.


Here's some photos of her Painter's Canvas line, in action

3 comments:

Cherry Red Quilter said...

HOW EXCITING for you! Congratulations and well done. Good luck for the next two weeks!!! Let the family eat takeaway! and get stitching!

momma said...

These are among my favorites right now, they are so rich and just speak to me. can't wait to see what you do with them. What fun.

Tracy said...

This is so exciting, Kristy! I know you will make something absolutely fabulous!

Post a Comment

Thanks for Commenting...so what do you think?
Love it, Hate it, Have a quick story to tell...