Friday, January 28, 2011

Quilt Motivations

Let me be clear. I LOVE making quilts.
I love finding inspiration, designing, cutting (yes, I said cutting), piecing and eventually quilting.

Yet, I struggle.
I would love to be one of those people who makes a quilt, just because.
Yet, I’m not.
I struggle because my biggest hurdle is always the Why? and How?

Why being…why am I making this quilt? Is it for a baby shower, raffle, challenge, swap, gift, etc.
How being…how big is the quilt going to be?

The why is the driving force behind why I’m able to finish the projects that I do. It gives me a purpose for doing the craft that I enjoy.  Yet, it also means that I can never just make a quilt because.
The how is mysterious to me and I blame it on my inner voice. I can only seem to grasp 3 sizes of quilts.

1- Doll Quilt…Something to be put on your wall or given to a child for her dolls
2- Baby Quilt…Something that measures about 36x48
3- Bed-Size Quilt…Something that measures 60x80 or larger

Most of my work falls into the Baby Quilt size, I’ve NEVER made anything larger then like 48x48 because I hit a wall. I lay out the blocks that I’ve made; but my inner voice says. Who is this going to keep warm? Make it larger.

I make it a little larger and then my inner voice says. Well, if you’ve made it this big, why don’t you make it fit on a bed.

After a while I get tired of making the blocks and “give up”, putting the blocks away and turning the quilt into a never-ending WIP (Work in Progress).

When I was younger, my Mom had and still might have this quilting book whose cover included an old armoire that was filled completely with quilts.  I clearly remember telling her every time I saw that book. I want to have that. I want to have so many quilts that they are overflowing and filling a closet or cabinet.

If you’ve read this far, you can see that’s going to be a challenge.

So, I ask you.

Are you crazy like me and must have a reason to make a quilt? or are you one of the lucky ones that does it just because?

Do you struggle with a quilt's size? or don't care and make it whatever size the design needs to be.

Do you have any advice for me on how to break this cycle.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

How's this for a potential "Why"? Tell yourself that you will make Baby or Full sized quilts as future gifts for (not yet planned) baby showers or Weddings, Graduations, etc.... That way you won't be pressed for time when an actual event arises, AND you may just start working on that armoire full of quilts without realizing it!

Post a Comment

Thanks for Commenting...so what do you think?
Love it, Hate it, Have a quick story to tell...