Friday, October 29, 2010

Blogger's Quilt Festival - Fall 2010


I grew up surrounded by quilts and quilt-making people.  I knew how to sew so I figured that making a quilt wasn't much different.  Throughout the years, I tried only to discover that I could make a killer top; but couldn't for the life of me quilt or finish it. 

Years went by and I continued to try my hand at quilting; but the results were poor at best.  Things got wrinkled and not in the good "antique" way.  I sort of gave up on ever finishing a single quilt.

That was until I attended a Fine Arts college to study Fashion Design.  I was able to convince one of my professors that I would make 2 quilts for an Independent Study and in return get 3 units of credit.  One of the quilts was going to be more traditional, and the other (as seen here) is much more modern...or as modern as one was in 1999-2000.

I selected this design from a coloring book and enlarged it to the size necessary.  I cut out each and every piece of paper, marked it's location and then proceeded to trace each of them onto the fabric and again cut them out individually.  Yes, I said I cut each and every piece out of paper first...you didn't misread that.  I was nuts back then.

At first it was kind of fun to see everything come together; but after a while, I got bored with the itty bitty pieces and especially trying to match each and every point.  It took me nearly the entire semester to finish this quilt and then I really had only finished the top.  I quickly layered the quilt and sewed a few quilting lines in the big open black spaces.

Oh wait, I take that back....
...I think I might have tied it in a few random places because it wouldn't cooperate.  I was so naive.

If I would be making this quilt again today, I would have done EVERYTHING differently.  For starters, probably just foundation pieced it, instead of going through the insanity of cutting out each and every piece.  I also would have done an allover quilting design, instead of a few random lines to hold everything together.

The wall quilt served it's purpose, got me the 3 units of credit and will probably forever sit in the basement.
While it's not necessarily a happy story, I certainly learned alot and now am able to look back at the experience and laugh.
***************************************************************
This post was created as part of Amy's Blogger's Quilt Festival - Fall 2010

13 comments:

Deborah said...

This is spectacular!

Army Wife Quilter said...

it is visual an eye catcher. Great job. I wouldnt feel to bad about doing it the way you did cuting out all the pieces only to cute them out again in fabric. every early quilter has some horrible story about how their first quilt drove them crazy but turned out great.

AnnieO said...

That was quite a long labor in quilting! It is true that each quilt teaches us something. Too bad you relegate this intriguing quilt to the basement--it's got lots of great movement and color. Thank you for sharing your quilt's story :)

Sandra said...

It has a great graphic appeal and you got the class credit so all is well.

Carol said...

It's a great looking quilt. Is there any reason why you cannot go back into it and do some more quilting?

liz said...

Your quilt caught my eye. It's definitely got appeal!

Angie said...

Beautiful quilt filled with dimension.

Rebecca Johnson said...

Amazing to look at! xx

Nina-Marie said...

Its amazing how techniques have changed even in the last ten years!! Love the quilt and I think it looks nice an dmodern even now!

Plum Cox said...

It's a great design - and I'm pleased that you've stayed quilting (and learned some new techniques!) despite tackling this one the hard way.

Thanks for sharing!

SplendorFalls said...

I loved the part about cutting each piece out individually! That's how my mom used to do it and how I learned too. Shed even mark the quarter inch marks on each individual piece with a pencil! Funny how things change (phew!)

creativedawn said...

lol...the results are SPECTACULAR! you may not like it, but is definitely a work of art. I love the design and the story...yep, you would definitely do it differently now...oh well

hugz
Pam

Eileen said...

great!! fun to read your story. really marvelous colors and design. nice job. thanks for sharing and have a great day

Post a Comment

Thanks for Commenting...so what do you think?
Love it, Hate it, Have a quick story to tell...