One of the items that I finally was able to take care of was installing new mounting hardware for my flag. I found a lovely old American Flag at an antique mall and had been wanting to use it on my front porch for some time; but couldn't find the proper pole since most of them already came with a cheepy flag (probably made in China) and I needed something to support the grommets in my flag. I finally found it and we got the flag up in time to support not only Memorial Day; but a few days prior as well.
One of the other items on my To-Do list was to paint the wood beam and siding that surrounded my sunporch. If you recall, this is what it looked like back in 2008.
The individual vertical panels were pretty beaten up and covered in mold from years of being untreated. One of the projects I took on some time ago was to remove all of the individual boards and install something that would be better suited to this area. Also because all of this wood was untreated, it was easy prey for a Carpenter Bee infestitation that I am happy to report (due to my Dad's DIY-trap) is no longer a problem.
Here is what the side yard looks like now, painted and pretty...okay, so ignore the big pile of branches in the middle of the pic; but otherwise things look more cohesive. I've said it a million times before; but I am amazed at what a coat of paint can do.
We also gave my stone foundation a good solid coat of paint too. I had previously patched it with morter mix and we were waiting for a nice day as we knew it would take several hours to get that task done.
I love crossing things off of my list.