Tuesday, June 1, 2010

In Bad Taste

Walking through my local antique mall, I came across a whole bunch of Country Living Magazines from 1990 and 1991. The vendor was only asking like 50 cents apiece and I thought it would be interesting to look through them and maybe pick up some ideas. I of course took the chance that the magazines were not already ripped apart.

These magazines sat for almost a month on my counter; but this past weekend I finally had some time to look through them. When I finished the 1st magazine, I was disappointed; but figured that it might have been that month...so I picked up the next, and the next and the next.

After I went through all of them, I was horrified. Ugh!! if I see one more group of dried plants hanging from the kitchen, I'm gonna scream. Country-style in the 90s was horrific. Now I realize that I'm looking at this with 2010 eyes; but now I understand why all of us are ripping out what the previous owners' did.

I unfortunately don't have photos to share; but I can easily paint a picture for you. Let me preface this by saying that while all of these things separately or in appropriate moderation are acceptable, the combination was just plain ugly.
  • Groups of dried flowers/plants hanging near every window in the kitchen scenes
  • Red and Black plaid comforter, throws, pillows, rug, etc
  • Cheesy gold-flake knick-knacks sat on every horizontal surface
  • Sponge-painted walls
  • Stenciling around every window and door frame, on every stair riser, etc.

Needless to say I ripped out only 3 pages in nearly a year's worth of magazines.

1 comments:

Victoria said...

UGHH!! I know!! I bought some old Martha Stewart magazines.. and you would think, well its Martha Stewart, but no. It was bad. Glad to know Im not the only one who made that mistake.

Post a Comment

Thanks for Commenting...so what do you think?
Love it, Hate it, Have a quick story to tell...