Thursday, March 18, 2010

This is my driveway, not yours...

So I don't have any photos to illustrate, so you'll have to use your imagination. Hopefully someone out there has had a similiar problem and you can offer some suggestions on how to remedy the situation.

First, I must say that I haven't taken any action of any sort, so far.

So my driveway is gravel, living in a century-old farm house...it's kind of expected. It gradually widens where it connects to the main road. There is presently no edging so it's just gravel butted up against grass. I have plans of creating a nice well-groomed area on either side of the driveway; but that's low on my list right now. The first year I moved into the home, two years ago, I paid for a dumptruck load of gravel so I could resurface what was thinning areas and dust.

Now that you have a picture in your head, let me tell you the problem at hand. The neighbor across the street from me insist on pulling partially into my driveway and then backing into his asphalt/concrete driveway...so he doesn't have to back out into the main street. The street isn't some main drag, it's empty most of the time and he has a much better view down the road then I do, to see oncoming traffic.

Here is my beef.
1. It's my driveway and while people using others driveways as turnarounds is nothing new, this happens each and everytime he comes home for the day.

2. There is a dip forming in my driveway, due to the constant pulling-in and backing-out. I've filled it twice now with more rock. Now, I realize me pulling-into my own driveway will do the same thing; but not this fast.

3. There is no regard to the fact that me or my sister's cars are stopped at the end of our driveway when getting mail. If he is coming home at the same time, he just pulls in and cranks it around. He's caught my sister off guard twice now and scared the sh*t out of her.

---------

Now I don't know if this is laziness or one of those "I lived on this street first" deals. Did it only start when the house was vacant for a year, while on the market (before I bought it)...or has this been happening forever.

My initial solution is to move up the fixing of said driveway and add the brick/timber edging and some plantings...not only will it make things look pretty; but it might give the hints needed.

Should I also sent the family a letter? Maybe a simple please don't do this might work too.

Any ideas??

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

leave your car parked at the end of the driveway for a little while, leaving him no room to pull in. He should get the hint.

Post a Comment

Thanks for Commenting...so what do you think?
Love it, Hate it, Have a quick story to tell...