Monday, March 15, 2010

Antique Treasure Hunt

Please tell me I'm not the only one whose heart breaks just a little bit when seeing antique furniture beaten and broken down? I'm not talking the 15th century chair of blah-blah (which is cool in it's own right); but instead simple things that the everyday person might have used.

I wanted to share some photos of the treasure hunting I've been doing lately.

First up is this solid wood chair I found for $6. As you can probably see from the photo, the seat is split; but we are in the process of repairing that with some good ol' wood glue. What you can't see is that one of the back supports is cracked. We have glued and clamped that too, and hopefully it will work...otherwise we will just cut a new one. I don't really have a purpose for this one, I just like old chairs.




Next up is this old fashioned end table or parlor table I picked up for $10. The top wood inlay was pretty messed up due to major water damage, so I'm in the process of removing what I can and I think we are going to belt-sand the rest away. Once I'm done it will make a great little table.



Third is a late 19th century arrow-back rocking chair; which as you can see is missing one of the back supports. This beauty cost me $40 and is in perfect condition aside from the previously mentioned problem. We have plans to replicate the missing piece and bring it back to life. I've always wanted a rocking chair and certainly couldn't pass this one up.




Finally is what I picked up this past Saturday from a seller I found on Craigslist. It's an old fashioned wardrobe or chifferobe. While I did not include a photo of the inside, half of it has shelving while the other offers hanging room. It has a lot of beautiful handcrafted decoration and really only needs to be cleaned and tightened up. This one was a steal at $50.



If you happen to know anything about any of these pieces, their style, age, etc...leave a comment.
I'm always wanting to learn more about what I find.

1 comments:

Victoria said...

omg. I am so jealous of that last piece. What a steal! One way to put a general age on a piece is how the joints are put together (usually can be seen on the insides of the drawers.) One large 'dovetail' can mean 18th century. Several can mean 19th.

After taking out the drawers look inside with a flash light to see if the boards were hand sawed or milled. Check to see if the nails or screws were handmade, and also the hardware can be a good indicator as well. Do a little research on what you find you might be able to get a better idea.

Good luck!

Post a Comment

Thanks for Commenting...so what do you think?
Love it, Hate it, Have a quick story to tell...