Monday, August 24, 2009

Quilt on the cheap

This past Sunday, my Dad and I went to an Antique Mall in St. Charles, Missouri. It was a decent size and had some interesting finds; most of which were a little too pricey for my taste. Having visited nearly all of the antique malls around the St. Louis area, I always find it interesting how varied the prices are for similar products. Yet, if you look long and hard enough, you can come across a great deal once in a while.

So, one can imagine my amazement when I stumbled across a handmade quilt folded up in one of the booths. I love looking at the handmade quilts found in Antique Malls, being a quilter, their intricacies amaze me. Yet the going rate is usually about $75 and up...and usually, the $75 ones can be pretty ratty.

You can believe I took a double take and even asked my Dad what the pricetag said, when I read $24.99

Yep, that's right folks. A penny under $25. Here are some pictures.



It does have a few small tears in the topcloth and the fabric is gently worn along the edges; but it's old, and that adds character. It measures approx. 6ft x 6ft.
Don't know when I'll find another quilt that cheap; but it just goes to show you that there are still deals out there.

1 comments:

Victoria said...

Ooh. Thats a wonderful find. I have been looking for a nice old quilt for a while here in Tampa- within a 200 mile range actually- and the majority of them run about 120-175. Florida antiques are so super expensive, but occasionally I find good deals. A few months ago I found a old handmade lace dust ruffle at a yard sale for 2.00.

deals are out there- happy hunting. ;)

Post a Comment

Thanks for Commenting...so what do you think?
Love it, Hate it, Have a quick story to tell...