Thursday, December 4, 2008

Reliving House Past

In the hussle and bussle of the holiday season, hanging out with family, renovating a century old home, and keeping sane in these tough times, I think it is always nice to remember from where we started.

This my friends, is a picture of my first house. I bought it back in '04 and at about 900 sqft it was a perfect "starter" home.

It sat on about a 1/3 rd of an acre, the exterior was finished and it had a newer roof. The inside needed a lot of updating as the previous owner had lived there for 20 something years and hadn't really touched much of anything. So let's take a walk down memory lane...

Here is the kitchen before we completely gutted it. That is my granite-top island, stove and microwave.


The cabinets were handmade out of plywood, painted this strange schoolbus yellow and yes they tried "antiquing" a few of them, which is why some have a green-cast. It served it's purpose I guess. After months of complete demo and renovation, here it is all shiny and new. I guess this was taken during cookie-baking time.

While the lavender walls aren't exactly everyone's taste, they livened up the place and worked so well with the rest of the decor.

Now, let's move on to the joining dining room. It was like stepping back into the 70s with dark wood paneling and carpet to match.

After gutting everything again, we added a walk-in storage closet, office alcove and a much needed coat of paint.


It's funny because while I knew from the start that I wasn't going to live there long (ended up being only 3 years), we probably did more to this little house then most.
I learned a lot and it turned out to be a great investment; which put me in a perfect position to tackle the new "old" place that this blog was created for.

1 comments:

Larry said...

WOW!!! That looks a lot like the home we had in Union MO!!

Post a Comment

Thanks for Commenting...so what do you think?
Love it, Hate it, Have a quick story to tell...