Monday, December 1, 2008

Fun with Books

I've seen on a few blogs now, the "7 Book Facts" and thought that I'd join in on the fun. The rules are simple. Write a post about your 7 book facts, the more unique the better. If you want you can tag others to join in on the fun, or leave it to your readers to participate. I won't be tagging anyone; but I encourage you to write your own post or leave me a comment.

1. I love the Classics and back in highschool, I sucked up every bit of them, even asking for additional reading lists from my English Lit teachers. Yep, I was one of THOSE kids.

2. I collect cookbooks, both old and new...although I'm particular about both and won't buy just anything, it has to have unique illustrations or pictures. I'm a basics kind of girl, so none of this casserole or gourmet stuff will do.

3. Some of the more unique/strange books in my collection are "The Book of Bunny Suicides" by Andy Riley, "The Melancholy Death of Oyster Boy and Other Stories" by Tim Burton, and "Amphigorey" by Edward Gorey. These are illustrated books with a whimsicle-macabre bent to them.

4. In college, our library had this huge upper-level outside deck and I would spent hours reading in the sun. If it was miserable outside, I would go inside to the upper levels where all the antique books were to read, do homework, etc. You don't know just how quiet a library can be until you are on this floor.

5. In 9th grade, I had an awesome Student Teacher who wrote quotations on the chalkboard everyday. One on-going assignment had us collect quotes in a notebook. After the year was over I transferred the quotes to a better hardbound sketchbook. To this day, I continue to collect quotations, interesting passages, etc in that sketchbook.

6. I had an 8-book series of young adult books that I read every summer like clockwork for like 6 years straight. The author was Linda Lewis and some of the titles that I remember were "We Hate Everything But Boys", "My Heart Belongs to That Boy", etc. I still have the books, along with many other books I loved when I was younger.

7. There are two young adult books that haunt me to this day, since I can't remember the title or author on either of them. I really liked both of them, and would love to find them, so if you can help, please let me know. The first I only remember the cover illustration; which showed a handful of kids sitting on a porch, one kid was in a wheelchair. The other book of which I only know the ending, some major problems were solved when someone discovered that $$ was sewn into a quilt.

3 comments:

Neighmond said...

I've read both, I bet. The one with the kids on the porch sounds like "Pinballs," a story about a group of misfits in a foster home some time in the seventies. As I recall the family's name is Masons.

Gene said...

Be curious and loving books, I searched based on Neighmond's suggestion, and it found a picture of an older cover at Amazon.

Kristy said...

Are you kidding me?? I've been trying to figure out the name of that particular book forever and now in the blink of an eye.

Neighmond that is fabulous!
Gene, thanks for the Amazon link.

Post a Comment

Thanks for Commenting...so what do you think?
Love it, Hate it, Have a quick story to tell...