Monday, September 15, 2008

Light, Gas and Water

Light, Gas and Water...sounds like the makings of a strange weekend.

Let's start with the positive, Light. This is one of those projects that doesn't particularly take very long; but gets pushed off. Since frogs, salamanders, deer and various other creatures of the night (okay, deer doesn't exactly fit; but hey) have been giving my sister and I the heebie-jeebies, I bought a motion detector for the garage. My Dad installed it on Saturday and that evening we tested it out to rave reviews. The light isn't too bright, it doesn't blind the neighbors and now gives some added safety and peace of mind.

Second on my list is Gas. Now, I realize that Hurricane Ike has played havoc with the south; but you would think the world was coming to an end if you watched the gas station down the street. My sister said that when she came home, there were cops buzzing all around, there were lines waiting for the pumps and it was utter madness. Although the price was partially to blame, since that station hadn't yet raised the price the 20 cents everyone else in the town had hours before; but seriously. Then on my sister's way to work yesterday she noticed that one of the bigger stations in town has all of their pumps covered with bags and the price was no where to be found, turns out they ran out of gas.

Finally, my list is rounded out by water. I awoke Sunday morning to the sound of wind howling and rain pouring. It was coming down so hard that you couldn't see, I had lakes forming in my yard and of course leaks in the house.
Luckily, it leaked in the same two spots it always does, so I was prepared. Yet, the basement was a different story. I went downstairs and it was like each wall was a waterfall. The water was pouring in through each and every crack. I ended up with an overabundance of water; but nothing that "thank heavens" didn't overflow the septic tank. Other people around the area weren't so lucky and it kind of puts everything in perspective.

2 comments:

NV said...

Glad to hear it wasn't more than you could handle though sorry to hear it got indoors at all.

you're right, though. Many people had it a lot worse. And here's the part I don't get: We have family in Texas who didn't have any troubles -- and St. Louis gets flooded. Go figure.

Tiffany said...

Septic flooding definitely would have been bad!
But hey, on the bright side (ha ha - couldn't resist) you have light!

Sorry to hear about the flooding:(

Post a Comment

Thanks for Commenting...so what do you think?
Love it, Hate it, Have a quick story to tell...