Monday, July 28, 2008

In The Garden

Okay, so I don't know if you can call two tomato plants a garden; but for the sake of the title...that's just what I'm going to do :-)

You see in the Spring, I bought two tomato plants from my local Lowe's. One was a Lemon Boy and the other, I thought some smaller variety (not quite cherry-size) of red. I planted them in a patch of dirt alongside my driveway and actually kind of forgot about them.

So much in fact that the one was trailing along the ground quite vigorously before I knew it and I had to buy a stake sooner then planned. I have taken to tying them up, watering them on the weekend; but that was about it.

This is why I was so surprised when I really took the time to step back and pay attention, this is what they looked like. This is only one plant; but the other is just as big.


It is enormous, at it's statuesque 4 foot tall and is so wide that I can't reach around it. I'm surprised the lowly stake in the center has withstood "semi-tornadic" windstorms that are prevelent where I live.


Just this past weekend, I picked off two tomatoes. One was baseball size, the other a tad-bit smaller. I did forget to take a picture; but will surely do so next time. When I told my parents that the plants were huge and had tomatoes all over it, I don't think they expected this.



...much less this...




All in all, between the two plants, I would have to say that I have about 40 tomatoes growing and little yellow flowers still popping up along the vines.

Oh and by the way...what I thought was a smaller red variety, turns out to be a large red variety.

What have I learned in my first year of gardening. Plant them and forget them, they survive better without us babying them.
Can I offer anyone some tomatoes???

1 comments:

NV said...

WOW! Those are awesome. Congrats.
I've never been much of a tomato-eater 'cept on occasion or I'd take you up on your offer.

Sounds like maybe you need to host a stuffed tomato luncheon ... :-)

Post a Comment

Thanks for Commenting...so what do you think?
Love it, Hate it, Have a quick story to tell...