Friday, June 27, 2008

Kohlrabi: Who'd have thought?

How many of you know what Kohlrabi is?
From the looks that I get at the grocery store or from my friends, I'm going to say not many of you have heard of this vegetable.

This my friends, is KOHLRABI.

I've been eating it since I was a kid, as have my brother and sister. My Dad is the one who introduced it to us, as he too ate it when he was little. He always said it was one of the poor man's vegetables; but from the sound of it, nobody even knows about it. It's kind of like our little secret; but I'm here to share it with you.

We've always eaten it raw, just cut off the leafy parts and the semi-soft skin, to reach the ivory center. As for what it taste like, the closest thing I attribute it to is cabbage; yet it really has a taste of it's own.

The photo above is borrowed from PotomacVegetableFarms website, as seen on DiseaseProof's website. They've pulled together some great info borrowed from further sites, too many to list here; but I encourage you to check out the info and when you visit your local farmer's market or grocer, ask for Kohlrabi.

1 comments:

denise said...

That's so funny—my husband and I were JUST talking about kohlrabi last night. I don't know if I've ever had it, but his family always had it and he really likes it. Will have to try it one of these days.

Post a Comment

Thanks for Commenting...so what do you think?
Love it, Hate it, Have a quick story to tell...