Sunday, April 13, 2008

Weekend Finds

This weekend I found a lot of cool things for around the house, some were necessary (Dehumidifier), others just fun. My Dad and I hit our local ReStore again, looking for what else; but another door. This door is for the 2nd Bedroom. While I don't have a great image of the door just yet, it is very unique and I can't wait to paint it and get it hung. Photos will follow of course.

On a hunt for a lock for said door, we went to one of our favorite Antique Malls and ended up walking out with more then we went in for.

I bought an old door hardware set. My Dad already started the clean up with Brass-O and as you can see in the below images, the difference is amazing. I don't want them to be completely clean as a hint of tarnish gives them character.



Here they are again, this time with the doorknobs. See what a difference a little cleaning makes.


I don't know if I ever mentioned it before; but I collect old cookbooks. While I have the usual Betty Crocker and Good Housekeeping kind, I also have some which are just fun to look at. For example, this Cutco one below which I found at the same Antique Mall.

Here is a page from the book, aren't the illustrations funny. I love how the pigs are happy on the farm, little do they know that the recipes are for Pork...haha!

Finally, my Dad came across these hidden on a shelf in one of the booths. These are little ink illustrations of old-style homes. The frames measure approx. 5x7. These were $6.95 for the group of 5. A steal if you ask me. I have to do some digging on the internet to see if I can find out anything about the artist, Doug Landis.


2 comments:

Kelli said...

Those framed drawings are charming! Hmm, the Cutco cookbook makes me wonder if it was from the "Cutco Quality Cutco Knives" pyramid sales thing. Are there special techniques listed for use with Cutco knives?

Kristy said...

Yep, it is from the Cutco Knife people. The front of the book kind of lists the knives and then tells the best way to use each of them...meat, vegetables, etc.

Post a Comment

Thanks for Commenting...so what do you think?
Love it, Hate it, Have a quick story to tell...