Sunday, January 20, 2008

ReStore: Awesome Finds

I was reading one of my regular blogs on Friday, the Fixer-Upper and they were talking about a store in NY called ReHouse. Now, I don't live anywhere near NY...I'm in Missouri to be more specific; but I got to thinking that the St. Louis area has to have similiar types of stores.

I certainly do remember Antique Row on Cherokee Street and figured that would be a great place to start; but then I hopped online and found an article mentioning the Habitat for Humanity, ReStore. I went to their website and discovered they have ReStores across the US.

It was certainly shaping up to be a busy Saturday.

My Dad and I took the truck and after nearly missing the parking lot entrance, there it was, ReStore. It was over an enormous warehouse filled to the brim with building materials, some new, some old; but all at what seemed like great prices. We strolled through the aisles and then came upon the door section.

I should probably back up a bit. You see the door to my basement, all 24" wide, is immediately across from my front door. It is the first thing you see and the door is just downright ugly. One of the previous owners must have had a cat or I'd like to think a ferret and they installed one of those little doors. Well, just have a look for yourself...

It drives me crazy. So I know that down the road I'll be replacing this door; but I wanted something unique and of course fitting to the old house. My bedroom door; which is immediately to the right of this door is a big 36" wide solid white hollow core. It too needs to go and be replaced by something spectacular.

Back to ReStore. We found the door section which probably had 200+ doors of all shapes and sizes and as we soon discovered a handful were quite old. I found three doors...I know I only told you about 2 openings; but you'll see what I mean later. The absolutely amazing thing is that I got all 3 for the outlandishly low price of $20. No, not $20 a piece, $20 for all 3.
Here are the doors I found. This one is for the basement. I'm going to eventually paint it white; but for now, this is what it looks like.

It still has the old hinges still attached and the lockset seems to be intact...minus the key (but my Dad found about 30 skeleton keys that I'm going to try out) and the knob; but I know where I can find an old one of them. Now, for my bedroom door. My Dad found these and I LOVE them. We have to do some modifications; but these are perfect and oh so old-world looking. I think the idea of having 2 smaller doors to replace the one large door is perfect.


Now, I'll certainly show you the after pictures; but that will honestly not be for years down the road since these doors are not top priority.
I certainly encourage you to check out the Habitat for Humanity website to see if you have a ReStore near you. You'll be not only helping a great cause; but I guarantee you'll find something for a great deal.

1 comments:

Jennifer said...

I LOVE our local restore... I, too, have found doors (2 of them), a new faucet, plumbing pipes, molding, and MORE! They are so great... plus it keeps stuff out of the landfill.

Post a Comment

Thanks for Commenting...so what do you think?
Love it, Hate it, Have a quick story to tell...