Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Discovery

Discoveries are a wonderful thing, old discoveries are even better.

When I bought my house, I didn't just inherit the previous owners poor taste in wallpaper. In the basement was an old drafting table and an enormous workstation cabinet. I didn't think much of it originally, considering that I really couldn't see much of it due to the poor lighting. Yet, this past weekend we cleaned out the basement. I'm talking about a full cleanout and boy what a discovery.

The old drafting table is solid oak and has cast iron hardware. It is in really good condition considering it's age. Since we had to dismantle part of it to get it out of the basement, I couldn't take a good photo; but will take a before and after shot once I get the time next year to take it all apart, sand it down and bring it to life again. Here is a photo I found from the internet; which is similiar to mine.

The solid oak workstation cabinet measured approx. 7 feet long and about 2 feet deep. The entire thing was filled with 20-25 drawers of varying sizes. Some are large 18" wide x 6" deep, others are 12" wide x 6" deep and there are a few which are only 3 inches deep. Unfortunately, the cabinet itself was in poor condition and couldn't be saved. Yet the drawers could-Yeah!!
I'm trying to decide what to do with the drawers. I don't have the mastery to build a new cabinet nor would I want a cabinet that big. Instead, I'm thinking of two things.

1. I could clean up the drawers and screw them together on top of one another like shelves, putting them in my studio.

2. I am struggling with what to do with my studio walls anyway, so what about dismantling the drawers and using the oak wood to collage together a wall surface. How cool would it be to have drawer fronts on a wall, totally non-functional; but so very recycling, artsy and interesting.

Have any of you done anything like this before?
Or better yet, do you have other ideas of what I can do with the drawers.

1 comments:

Rebecca said...

Just reading renovation websites for ideas when I found your site. Wallpaper was the rage in the 70s and 80s. Just as styles today will be very dated and may even horrify homeowners in the future, wallpaper from 30 or 40 years ago may seem totally tasteless today.

Post a Comment

Thanks for Commenting...so what do you think?
Love it, Hate it, Have a quick story to tell...